Sewing Projects for Beginners: Perfect Pillowcases
If you're just starting out, then using a sewing machine to create something practical and beautiful can be a bit daunting. There are lots of projects that are perfect for beginners and, in this edition of our blog, we'll help you with a step-by-step guide to sewing perfect pillowcases.
- First, choose your fabric from our vast collection. We recommend starting with a simple cotton fabric.
- Firstly you need to measure out the fabric. The standard size of a pillowcase in the UK is 75cm x 50cm but you need to allow for hems and seams. Stretch the fabric out onto a flat surface and measure a rectangular piece that is 170cm x 54cm.
- Use a pair of sharp scissors or a rotary cutter to cut out this piece of fabric.
- Fold the piece in half length ways. Measure in 5cm from each end and mark using pins.
- Open out the piece of fabric and make sure it is face down. From one end, fold the fabric back so that it forms a crease level with the pins placed in the previous step.
- Use more pins along this crease to keep it in place. You could achieve this by ironing instead if you wish.
- Fold the cut edge down into the crease, forming a second crease and completing the hem. Pin or iron along this second crease and remove any previous pins. Repeat this step at the other end of your fabric piece.
- Once both of the ends have been folded and pinned in this way, it's time to start stitching! Sew carefully along the cut edges about 1cm in from the edge. Remove any pins as you go along.
- Lay the completed piece out flat and trim off the cut edges on either side, around 3mm from your completed stitches.
- Turn the piece inside out. Iron the seams, ensuring they are pushed out straight. It may help to use a piece of stiff card inside the pillowcase; slide it to the edge to push out the seam before ironing. Work all the way along first one side and then the other.
- Now sew along each side, about 6mm in from the edges. Trim off any bits of loose thread before turning the pillowcase back to the right side out. Iron once again.
- Et voila! You're now ready to insert your pillow and enjoy some well-earned sweet dreams.
Once you've mastered the technique you won't want to stop! And, with our massive choice of plain cotton fabrics, printed cotton fabrics, you won't have to. For more informative articles like this, along with lots of other news, updates, exclusive special offers and much more, please subscribe to the free Croft Mill newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.