The Special Qualities of Silk Dress Fabrics
"Silk does for the body what diamonds do for the hand."
Oscar de la Renta
Silk is often referred to as the 'queen of textiles' and for good reason. Since it was first made in Ancient China more than 5,000 years ago, silk has been associated with luxury thanks to its unmatched aesthetic beauty and beautifully-tactile qualities. In this edition of our blog, we look at some of the many advantages of this delightful fabric.
- As a completely natural material, silk is a sustainable choice
- Silk has exceptional thermal-regulation properties, which makes it perfect to wear in any season: it keeps you cool in summer and warm in winter
- The fabric is highly-absorbent and can in fact absorb as much as 30% of its own weight in moisture without feeling damp to the touch. It therefore helps to absorb natural perspiration while allowing the skin to breathe
- As it contains several of the same amino acids found in the human body, silk is the most hypoallergenic of all textiles and so can be worn without issue by people who have sensitive skin
- Though it feels so soft and delicate to the touch, silk is actually extremely strong and durable. A silk fibre is stronger than a fibre of steel of the same diameter
- The fibres of silk resemble smooth glass rods with a somewhat triangular cross-section. These properties make silk especially good at reflecting light, resulting in a beautiful sheen
Here at Croft Mill, we have a select range of silk fabrics in stock, including:
- Athena. Composed of a careful blend of wool and silk in a divine Cream colour, Athena is characterised by a delicate and subtle geometric weave.
- Silk: Red. Perfect for creating a range of garments from glamorous dresses and blouses to sumptuous nightwear, this exquisite 100% silk fabric is rendered in an eyecatching Cool Red colour.
- Silk: Stripe. Stripes are bang on trend at the moment so fashionable crafters will love this striped silk habotai fabric in Ivory and Pale Pink.
Check out the Croft Mill website to discover our complete collection of silk dress fabrics.