Is Linen a Sustainable Fabric?
As summer approaches and the weather improves, it's a great time to start using linen to create gorgeous garments to update your wardrobe. Linen is a strong, versatile fabric and it also boasts unmatched green credentials, being one of the most environmentally-friendly textiles available. Check out this edition of the Croft Mill blog to discover more about this wonderful fabric...
The fabric is made from the fibres of the flax plant; the word 'linen' is in fact derived from 'linum usitatissimum', the Latin name for this plant. Linen textiles appear to be some of the oldest ever used: flax fibres discovered in a cave in present-day Georgia suggest a history dating back to over 30,000 years ago.
There are many reasons that linen is such an environmentally-friendly fabric:
- Growing flax requires much less water than growing cotton. According to data from the European Confederation of Linen and Hemp, a linen shirt requires just 6.4 litres of water in comparison with a massive 2,700 litres for an equivalent shirt made from cotton.
- Every part of the flax plant can be used, resulting in very little wastage. For example, the seeds can be eaten or used to produce linseed oil.
- Flex is a very hardy plant and can be grown successfully in poor soil. This means that fewer herbicides, pesticides and fungicides are required.
- Linen is an extremely strong and durable fabric, which means it can last many times longer than other materials.
Here at Croft Mill, you can choose from a stunning selection of linen dress fabrics, all of which are ideal for crafting cool, breathable and frankly fabulous summer garments. The collection includes:
- Pure Linen. The name says it all! This delightful linen fabric is of medium weight at 230gsm and is beautifully soft, a quality that will only increase with further washing. Choose from a sumptuous palette of colour options including Black, Chartreuse, Silver Grey, Lavender, Coral, Stone, Denim, Navy, Aqua, Teal, Pewter and Mint.
- Lauren. Finely woven with a gorgeous yarn, these exclusive fabrics are sourced from an American designer label. Available in a solid Pink colour or in a choice of two floral designs: Rose or Primrose.
- Trinidad. This German-made fabric is of a wonderfully-heavy weight green dress fabric. You will be sure to stand out from the crowd with this gorgeous floral print.
Discover our complete collection of linen and linen mix fabrics on the Croft Mill website!